The Big Hearts Fund's Policies for Applicants
How You Can Communicate with Us
- In order to preserve objectivity in our decision making process, The Big Hearts Fund cannot speak to applicants or potential applicants by phone. We are happy to communicate with you in writing, whether by mail, fax, or e-mail!
- The Big Hearts Fund can only fund completed applications, and those in which the applicant’s income is at or below the threshold of 400% of the Federal Poverty Level, and/or the applicant can prove sudden and unexpected hardship due to death, job loss, natural disaster, or illness/injury.
- The Big Hearts Fund will only fund necessary veterinary care for the diagnosis and/or treatment of canine and feline heart disease.
- Unfortunately, The Big Hearts Fund cannot fund the care of pets who are medically considered geriatric. The Big Hearts Fund is primarily concerned with providing assistance to pet owners who are saddled with increased veterinary costs over many years of the pet’s life, which is not due to expected age related natural deterioration of the heart muscle and its components.
- The Big Hearts Fund can only fund cases where all medical information and recommendations are found to be accurate and deemed appropriate by our Veterinary Advisory Board.
How We Review and Qualify Your Application
- All completed applications will be processed in the order in which they are received. If a case is determined by the veterinarian to be time sensitive, that case will take precedence over other non time-sensitive cases, which will still be processed in the order in which they were received. Once a case has been approved for funding, that status cannot be revoked.
- The Big Hearts Fund cannot assist with charges incurred prior to approval of application and receipt of Letter of Guarantee by the veterinarian.
- The Big Hearts Fund cannot pay an outstanding balance from a previous vet bill.
- The Big Hearts Fund cannot reimburse the applicant for funds paid to the veterinarian.
- The Big Hearts Fund cannot pay for treatment in advance.
- The Big Hearts Fund cannot pay a deposit.
- The Big Hearts Fund cannot pay on an invoice showing no balance due.
- The Big Hearts Fund will send a check via USPS following receipt of an itemized invoice scanned and sent by the veterinarian.
- The Big Hearts Fund will only remit payment to a veterinarian or pharmacy. Funds are never disbursed directly to an applicant.
- The Big Hearts Fund will not hold reserved funds for a specific pet for more than 45 days. If The Big Hearts Fund does not receive an itemized invoice from the veterinarian within 45 days, the funds will be redistributed to the general fund.
- The Big Hearts Fund will send a Letter of Guarantee to your veterinarian as soon as your application is received. The Letter of Guarantee is a binding agreement stating that The Big Hearts Fund will remit payment for the treatment specified for your pet by your veterinarian.
Other Legal Stuff
- If it is discovered that an applicant or veterinary office has knowingly falsified information and, as a result, successfully received funding from The Big Hearts Fund, the applicant or veterinary office will be notified that their misconduct obliges them to return any funding received, and that their file will be permanently closed without the opportunity to ever reapply or their association with The Big Hearts Fund will be terminated. If the applicant or veterinary office fails to comply, The Big Hearts Fund will pursue all legal action necessary to regain the disbursed funds. Such action includes but is not limited to actions for fraud and misrepresentation.
Begin Application Process